Recent Safety Case – Serious food safety failings result in prison sentence
A former pub chef has received a suspended prison sentence after a catalogue of serious food safety failings causing one death and multiple cases of sickness.
Environmental Health (EH) officers investigated a food poisoning case in Northamptonshire that tragically resulted in the death of a 92-year-old-woman and made another 31 people ill.
The case involving 40-year-old former pub chef, John Croucher who was given a four-month suspended prison sentence, has made national headlines. Croucher prepared a shepherd’s pie for a church group celebrating harvest festival on 8th October, 2018. The following day, the event organisers alerted the council that a significant number of people from the group had become ill with severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea.
Elizabeth Neuman was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, and later died of a gastrointestinal haemorrhage.
An investigation carried out by EH officers at West Northamptonshire Council and Public Health England discovered a range of serious food safety failings and charges were brought against a number of parties including Croucher; the landlord, Neil John Bellingham; and the pub’s operator, Bobcat Pub Company.
Reading Crown Court heard how the shepherd’s pie was rushed, and there was poor cooking, cooling and reheating of various ingredients that led to it becoming contaminated with Clostridium perfringens bacteria.
In court, Croucher admitted: “I hate to say it, I really hate to say it, but I think I was rushed. I was rushing.” He added: “Remorse is an understatement. This is something I will never forget. Because of it, I am a better chef and it is just a shame the cost of it had to be what it was.”
This is an incredibly sad and tragic case which demonstrates the serious consequences of failing to follow food safety regulations.
Food safety failings
On 30 November, 2021 at Reading Crown Court, Croucher was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for 12 months. At an earlier hearing he also pleaded guilty to placing unsafe food on the market, and was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid community service, and pay costs of £4,000.
Bellingham (Pub Landlord), 54, of Northampton was fined £9,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 costs after admitting failing to register a food premises, failing to implement and maintain a food safety management system, and failing to provide staff with supervision, instruction or training. Bobcat Pub Company was fined £2,928 after admitting failing to register a food premise, failing to implement and maintain a food safety management system, failing to provide staff with supervision, instruction or training, and placing unsafe food on the market.
Speak to an expert
Need help managing your safety requirements and access to food safety advice and guidance? Whatever your situation Primed can help – Primed Premium gives you unlimited telephone and email advice from our health & safety experts for an affordable monthly fee whilst Primed gives you access to extensive online resources and template documents to help you manage your team.